i have a few questions for the guru's here...

we know that COMP tags as well as the VA logic detection both can
classify an album (or track) as a compilation to SC7.  are we all
agreed on that?

[...it may also be true that other things do as well, such as folder
name and location, or certain strings in tags, (like "Various
Artists").  does anyone know if this is, or is not, the case?
(meaning, if you had no COMP tags and had VA logic detection turned
off, would SC7 use any other criteria to conclude some album or track
was from a comp?)...]

in any case...

my main question is why does this classification matter?

in other words, what is the benefit to SC7 "knowing" if such and such
an album or track is from a compilation or not?

yes, i understand that if the VA logic determines something is a comp,
it places it, or sorts it, in the VA section of your SC library.

but what if you had no comp tags at all, (i don't), and what if you
turned off VA logic detection, and instead relied on other tags to sort
your music properly?  in that scenario, what downside is there to SC not
knowing some album or track is from a comp?

i am not saying that it isn't important for SC to know.  i am just
saying that if someone asked me why SC needs to know, i wouldn't be
able to answer that question.

the only thng i know positive comp classification does, is resort comps
into the VA section, but beyond that, i don't know why SC needs to
know.

and since proper sorting can be achieved more easily and precisely
using tagging methods, i don't know why classifying comps is
necessary.

if anyone can explain the benefits, please do.  thx!

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / SBC - w/SC 7.1beta - Win XP
Pro SP3 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655