Nonreality;309437 Wrote:
> My guess it because of the proper use of tags. Not everyone does.  Also
> Comp is a tag that Itunes seems to use a lot. When I first started here
> I thought my tags were fairly good coming from Itunes.  It had used the
> comp on a lot of albums that had one guest on them. Not what I wanted.

i'm not sure i understand your points here.  bad tags are bad tags.  i
wouldn't expect SC to output anything but garbage if garbage is input.

my question is what is the purpose of knowing if something is a comp or
not as far as SC is concerned?  it looks like Jim has some good
examples...

JJZolx;309438 Wrote:
> A few just off of the top of my head:
>
>  So that "track-only" artists can be suppressed from the artist list
> when browsing artists.

Jim, can you expound on this?  it alone absolutely seems like reason
enough.  i did not know the comp classification did this.  however,
what if you did NOT want such suppression?

JJZolx;309438 Wrote:
>  To determine formatting and presentation in web and other interfaces.
> A compilation album is most often by "Various Artists".  Otherwise
> you're left to choose one (which is wrong) or all of them (we've seen
> that before, and it's very ugly).

i'm afraid i don't quite follow you here...  what do you mean "choose
one" or "all of them."  what exactly is the problem you are running
into here, if a VA album is not classified as a comp, with the web
interface?

JJZolx;309438 Wrote:
>  Grouping.  Having a pseudo-artist of "Various Artists" means that
> users can easily find these albums under that artist.

right...  but then again, proper tagging could accomplish that.  i mean
if its a question of sorting, tagging seems better equipped to handle
that issue then identifying something as a comp or not, (which can be
hit or miss).

JJZolx;309438 Wrote:
> If any/all/none of the above work as you expect in SqueezeCenter then
> it's an implementation issue, not a conceptual one.  Go to a music
> store and you'll undoubtedly see (probably by genre) a bin with
> compilation albums that can't be grouped under a particular artist.

i absolutely agree that some albums need to be grouped together.

i would have a Various Artists section for sure.  but i might also have
a Soundtracks section, and i might want that separate from the VA
section, (like say, under soundtracks) and so on...

--
MrSinatra

www.LION-Radio.org
Using:
Squeezebox2 (primary) / SBR (secondary) / SBC - w/SC 7.1beta - Win XP
Pro SP3 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - D-Link DIR-655