Ben Sandee;310436 Wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:13 AM, Pat Farrell <pfarrell (AT) pfarrell
> (DOT) com> wrote:
>
> > tonythetiger wrote:
> > > My PC is wired to my router.
> > > I'm streaming .WAVs
> >
> > Streaming flac files is four times better. The files are 50%
> smaller,
> > and take 50% network traffic, and fit in the buffer better. Flac is
> > lossless, there is no difference in quality.
> >
> > The smaller network traffic plus twice as much buffer is a big win.
> You
> > really should try it.
>

> Agreed. I believe if you go to Settings->Advanced->File Types you can
> find
> the WAV->WAV entry which is probably set for "NATIVE" by default.
> Change
> this to "disabled" and I believe SqueezeCenter will automatically
> perform
> this transcode to FLAC.  You will not lose any sound quality but it
> should
> reduce the network and buffer usage dramatically.  It's worth a shot
> anyway...
>
> Ben

Note that this will put additional load on the SqueezeCenter machine,
because it will be doing the WAV>FLAC encoding.  If the server is
currently your bottleneck, then this will only make things worse.  That
being said, these dropouts are usually a function of a wireless
networking problem, so it is worth trying.

--
jeffmeh