Mnyb;312111 Wrote:

> SPDIF (the digital or coax) have no metadata so it's just a raw 16/44
> or whatever bit stream so the only way to accomplish "volume" is to
> reduce bits.
> So the SB can not "tell" the Denon what volume to play, you have to
> alter the data.
> Sorry this is a bit late but had a question about this post.  If this is
so, why does replay gain function correctly through the digital outputs?
Is it reducing the bits as per the replaygain tag to achieve it? Does
this mean that in a perfect world you wouldn't want to use replay gain
if you are using the digital outputs?  I know in reality it's only
about a 7-10% decrease and shouldn't affect any quality but in a
perfect listening area with perfect ears and a perfect, I guess it
could. I have my SB3 hooked up both ways and can't really tell the
difference but seem to like the analog better for no reason that I
could explain. I think the dac in the SB3 and my Yamaha RX-V1800 are
about the same.

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality