Ooops somebody citing me :)in the same tread, I was told that the
digital volume for the DIGITAL output (spdif) also works with 24bits
just as at DAC's for the analog out ?
If so i wont worry a bit ? 24bit is beyond any hardware and human
beings ability's. and is probably better than most analog volume
controls.

but does the SB3 realy has the processing power to sample rate convert
16bit to 24bit ? surprise me again please :)
the digital filter before the dac's might do that in hardware ?

But I'm using fixed volume and no gain whatsoever, i've tried to run
dts encoded stuff as flac and wav and it's works flawlessly. This
indicates that the bits are "untouched" the bitstream is as encoded
nothing altered changed or added, which in my book is very very good.
It just passes trough the SB3 (mind that no squeezebox can decode dts
or dolby) if the SB tries to "do" something with a format it don't
understand it would result in white noise ? *

Anyhow i use fixed to the hifi rig and variable for other stuff I don't
think this can be heard in *couch*  "normal" equipment.

/Mikael

*PS i tried dts stuff as a scheme to verify if my whole system is
bitperfect.
*PPS i have an digital preamp so want to reduce the number of unknowns
and do my processing at one place.

--
Mnyb