doggieflyer;316077 Wrote:
> Good info everyone.  Fortunately I do understand all you're saying.
>
> Putting on my generic user hat, Logitech needs to simplify network
> handling because most users won't know DHCP from ABC.  I'd have no clue
> that I was running two DHCP servers if I didn't have a bit of networking
> experience in my day job.
>
> I imagine my setup is not unusual.  I have a DSL router supplied by
> Verizon.  It provides DHCP by default.  You connect your computers to
> the router and they automatically gain a dynamic IP and connect to the
> internet, usually behind a default firewall built into the router.
> Most users will change nothing.  I added on a wireless router when I
> got a wireless laptop.  Plug it in and it all works together.
>
> Given this scenario, consumers aren't going to know the merits of
> disabling DHCP on the wireless router.  They go buy Squeezeboxes, get
> frustrated and return them.

I have a very similar setup as you (right on up to the Verizon DSL
router).

I have been bitten by the multiple DHCP server problem completely
outside of the Squeezebox realm.  I'll explain...

I have a DSL modem connected to a Linksys wireless router.  I have a
Verizon DSL gateway (DSL modem, router, and wireless access point all
rolled into one) that they sent me.  I needed a hub to expand my
connections and decided to see if I could configure the Verizon gateway
to act as a hub.  I was able to, but I forgot to save the settings to
disable the DHCP server.

So, one day my wife is trying to use her laptop (wireless and using
DHCP) and cannot get to the internet.  The web browser keeps showing
errors.  It was working just this morning!?!?  I grab the laptop and
check the TCP/IP settings.  It was trying to use the Verizon gateway as
the gateway rather than my Linksys router!

But I thought I disabled the DHCP server in the Verizon gateway!!  I
went into its configuration and sure enough, it was enabled.  Why
things worked for days after I set that up, I have no idea.

This time I disabled it and verified that it was disabled.  Rebooted my
wife's laptop and all was good.  No problems since.

So, the point is that having multiple DHCP servers on a network will
cause problems with any network device using DHCP, not just a
squeezebox.

--
maggior