amey01;318670 Wrote:
> .....and digital should ideally be that way too, but as already said,
> unfortunately, that is the way CDs are being mastered these days. Do a
> Google search on "loundess wars" and you'll see what I mean.
>
> Shame, but reality.
>
> Just for interest, play an older CD or recording and notice how the VU
> metres stay well below 0dB.

Thanks I googled it and see what is happening.

Does this happen on classical too? A friend who likes the genre often
complains that the slam of all musos kicking in at the same time is
never quite the same on the stereo as in the concert hall.

I listen to a lot of jazz perhaps they could fill the CDs up with
uncompressed 'bonus tracks' instead of alternate takes that sound much
the same as the original. Or hey with some clever marketing you could
get jazz heads to buy their entire collection again. (orginal LP, 80's
CD, 90's CD, 24bit CD, 180g Vinyl, SACD, uncompressed CD)I better stop
there before I get cynical.

In fact there is no reason that needs to be confined to jazz. Many
artists feel the need to fill up all 74 minutes of a CD and it is rare
that every track is great. One the thing s I like most about the SB3 is
that it so easy to change to another album. With vinyl you were forced
to make that choice every 20 minutes (other side or something else) but
CDs are a different story all together.

--
gusi