st2lemans;322135 Wrote:
> >>In Switzerland virtually all homes are connected to 3-phase.  Voltage
> difference between phases is 380V.  Different rooms are often on
> different phases.  My kitchen actually has outlets on three different
> phases, as I kept blowing the breaker when I tried to run the
> microwave, deepfryer, fridges, etc. all on one phase.
>
> Tom

OK, I stand corrected about Switzerland. I have to say that (apart from
specifically designed 3-phase sockets for cookers etc) having outlets on
different phases in the same room is risky at best, and AFAIK illegal in
the UK. Reason: because you can have two phases within touching
distance, in the unlikely but possible event you have a fault in two
appliances you can get 380-440V straight through you. That tends to be
one's final mistake!

I guess in the US you need three phase supplies to stop high power
appliances, such as ovens and washers from drawing emourmous current,
by upping the voltage.

--
bigfool1956

David Ayers
Music is what counts, hifi just helps us enjoy it more