m1abrams;326484 Wrote:
> I get a kick out the the OP saying it should be written in a real
> programming language like "C++". No it should be written in Assembly :)
> .  Obviously he has never coded in C++.  I made my living a few years
> ago writing C++ code and would rather deal with Perl any day.  C++ (not
> C) is a mess, mainly do to the way it was put together and the many
> battles over standards. Did they ever get a standard defined?  It also
> makes a lot of compromises to remain C compliant while trying to
> shoehorn OO into it.

Might surprise you that I earn my living writing C and C++ (mostly C
these days on embedded). Obviously you have never seen good C++ code,
as most would-be C++ programmers manage to write code that uses C++
features because it is new and they want to try it, and not because the
C++ feature makes sense.

And to counter the point that most PC's have 2GB mem anyway: The origin
of my rant is that I was looking into running SS on a lower spec system
(mainly fanless/low noise/you get the picture) or even my NAS. You can
just forget about running it on anything with less than 512MB.

I bet the people that are not complaining here are also very happy with
Vista - the main reason most new PC's have 2GB in the first place.

I will try to do some tests without plugins later, but I do not think
the mem usage will change an order of magnitude because of them.

--
Pétur

Alternative free open source firmware for your mp3 player -
http://www.rockbox.org/