Yes wireless is a bit of "Black Magic" at the moment but there are
things you can do to help it.
-Construction Materials play a big part in reception strength.  Steel
studs, concrete, fireplaces, and brickwork are all poor materials for
running a wireless network around.  Steel reflects signals and confuses
the heck out wireless.  Dense stuff like concrete blocks the signal.  Do
a survey first - will it work where I am?
- A good UPS or power filter.  The filtering of line noise can help a
lot.  I have a wireless system set up for my mother in law and there
are 27 visible networks where it is but it works just fine.
-Get rid of any phones etc. in the 2.4 gig range, period. (and don't
give the spread spectrum one to your neighbor - don't ask how I know.)
-Spring for a new microwave.  They are not all that expensive any more
and better shielding and less line noise helps .
-Place the AP or Router above the receivers if possible.  The pattern
of radiation from the antennas makes for better reception below than
above.
-Get a better antenna for your AP.  A coathanger is better than most
stock antennas which are no more than a 3" piece of wire inside a
molded piece of plastic.  Flat panel antennas work great for poorer
reception situations as they can be directed toward the client.

Always be prepared to wire your network. Wireless is a radio signal and
under certain conditions it will not work properly.

--
tedfroop