On 10/19/2015 02:06 PM, Bryan Richter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 11:44:34AM -0700, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>>    These things may have been discussed already, but these are
>>    initial thoughts from friends looking at the system; ie
>>    theoretical potential patrons.
>>
>>    1)It will make the average person nervous to not see a very clear
>>    representation of what they are going to be paying total. This
>>    relates to the other discussion we were having; regardless of
>>    whether or not it gives people the impression that this is a
>>    "great bargain" or whatever, people need to see a very clear
>>    presentation of what they will be called on to pay or they will
>>    be very nervous about signing on at all.
>
> I don't believe we have an entirely adequate solution to assuage this
> concern. The fundamental difficulty is that in order to have a
> mutually-matching funding system, it appears that a patron must
> "withhold" funds to use as incentive for other patrons. At best, they
> have to not know what they will actually contribute one month from
> now.

The key is that early adopters will be the ones who aren't so absurdly
skeptical, they're happy to *try* it, and the other folks will follow
their lead, and we'll have clarity about what to expect once there's
some history built up.

And yes, withholding all your possible donations to instead incentivize
others is the core of matching even in today's version of corp puts up
$10,000 in 1:1 matching offer. They don't just donate it, they do this
matching offer.

> This is actually more than just a psychological barrier. This will
> actually prevent institutional sponsors from signing up. I spoke
> with... someone... shoot! I forget who now, but it was at the
> Community Leadership Summit. He said that donations made by large
> organizations need to have dollar amounts known well in advance for
> accounting and bookkeeping.
>
> I think this is a substantial issue.

I think that person was ribasushi who is lurking in IRC. I had the same
discussion.

We definitely need special institutional levels, and anyway,
institutions *can* budget a certain amount as long as they know that's
the limit. The budget doesn't *have* to get all spent. And our system
allows that sort of budgeting.

This isn't a launch stage issue anyway.

>>    2)As more people sign on to the system, shouldn't the average
>>    pledge rate go down? If you originally sign on at $1 per 5000
>>    people, but then 60000 sign on, you don't each need to be paying
>>    $12- each person can be paying much less than the original $1 per
>>    5000, and the collective result will still be enormous.
>
> As others have said, this would be a *great* problem to have.
>
> That said, it is still obviously a psychological barrier that comes up
> way at the beginning. We can't just dust it off and say "Oh that's not
> a problem": it may not be, but the *perception* that it is is a
> problem in itself.
>
> This barrier may drop with real numbers and real activity. I could see
> charts showing the last three months of payouts for a project showing
> potential signups what they're probably getting into.
>
> For just this reason, it may be good to focus on supporting
> *existing, established* projects at release.

That's my feeling as well. Speculative projects aren't the best fit for
us compared to existing but underfunded ones. But we can try different
things if we get the system launched to be able to try.

Aaron Wolf Snowdrift.coop <https://snowdrift.coop>