Christian Einfeldt wrote:
snip..

Is anyone aware of a way those two concepts can co-exist? Because
as soon as the content has been decrypted, an application could
do anything with it, which renders DRM virtually unusable on the
application level. DRM on the hardware level (like trusted
computing) however still needs Applications to be authorized.

Can anyone think of a scenario that would work?

I met someone at a creative commons party recently here in SF who is working on an open source solution. I am a simple end user, so I can only repeat what the true geeks tell me. I have loaned this person's card to a friend, who is not in his office next door at the moment. When he gets back, I will get it from him.

I started the conversation off with:

See: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/01/24/community_source_program/
CE giants open DRM to the community
[Faultline, The Register, 24 January 2005]

It would be interesting to know if there are other groups in addition to the Coral Consortium that are working towards an open standard or open source solution.

The last paragraph of the above article reads:

"In the digital media world that is coming, all future entertainment players will need to have a processor and an operating environment (most will chose CE Linux), and the commonality between platforms will not reside in the operating system but in the file types, the digital identifiers and an interoperability layer for the DRM systems which are most likely to be orchestrated by web services."

To me "... and the commonality between platforms will not reside in the operating system but in the file types ..." is similar to us and others encouraging the use of OpenDocument.

Also, they say earlier in the article "Coral is being written in XML and according to web service standards ...".

Regards
Jacqueline