Hi Lars,

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 08:02:40 -0500, Lars D. Noodén wrote:

> I think he may be looking for assurance that OOo has good encryption.

Of course a valid concern. To me it sounded (and I may be totally wrong
on this) like he thought that the Google SDK was able or could be
enabled to read documents without knowing the password, and I wondered
what gave him the impression.

> Where can we read a bit about how the OOo files are encrypted and which
> algorithm(s) are used?  The OOo help menu doesn't say much.

Citing from the OASIS OpenDocument specification 1.0-cd-3 available at
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

17.3 Encryption
The encryption process takes place in the following multiple stages:
1.A 20-byte SHA1 digest of the user entered password is created and
  passed to the package component.
2.The package component initializes a random number generator with the
  current time.
3.The random number generator is used to generate a random 8-byte
  initialization vector and 16-byte salt for each file.
4.This salt is used together with the 20-byte SHA1 digest of the
  password to derive a unique 128-bit key for each file. The algorithm
  used to derive the key is PBKDF2 using HMAC-SHA-1 (see [RFC2898]) with
  an iteration count of 1024.
5.The derived key is used together with the initialization vector to
  encrypt the file using the Blowfish algorithm in cipher-feedback (CFB)
  mode.

For further technical details of the actual implementation I suggest the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list.

  Eike

--
 OOo/SO Calc core developer. Number formatter bedevilled I18N transpositionizer.
 GnuPG key 0x293C05FD:  997A 4C60 CE41 0149 0DB3  9E96 2F1A D073 293C 05FD