As others have stated OpenOffice.org does have the equivalent of VBA in
the form of OpenOffice.org Basic, in fact the syntax for the language is
virtually identical. However, the underlying model for OpenOffice.org
and Microsoft office are quite different and so the macros would require
manual conversion.
I am happy to help Chris with the conversions, but unfortunately I don't
have much time until after 23 April, to do much more than answer some
questions.
For examples of my work see:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/

Thanks, Ian