Sweet Coffee wrote:
A the webmaster for a site called "Teachers-Pet.org" is interested in
writing some educational software for OO. Presently he writes
software for MSWord. His software is "free". He indicated that the
reason why he has not written software for OO as of yet is because OO
does not provide the option to write macros in VB or
VBA, Is this true?

Yes, OOo do not suppor the Visual Basic language.
But OOo macros can be written in StarBasic, another dialect of the Basic language. In fact Visual basic and StarBasic are probably closer than american english and british english.

In addition, if your websmaster is an experienced programmers he/she would be happy to know that OOo macros can be written in several other languages, specially "real ones" like C, C++, Java and *Python*.

Is there anyway he could write programs for OO?

The real problem to write macros for any application is not the language (Basic, Java, Python or what ever), but to get used to the object model and idiosincrasies of that particular application.
I am NOT a programmer but a biologist and I do have writen several macros for OOo (and for MSO in VBA formerly). It is not a particularly more difficult task than for MSWord. Some things are even easier.

Is there a link I could refer him to which would be helpful.

The resources list to point is OOo Development Project page
http://development.openoffice.org/index.html

Of the resources there listed, those particularly useful are:

Programmer's Tutorial (a good overview of the structure of OOo coding)
http://api.openoffice.org/basic/man/tutorial/tutorial.pdf

StarOffice Software Basic Programmer's Guide (then language reference)
http://api.openoffice.org/TipsAndTricks/external.html

OpenOffice Macro Document by Andrew Pitonyak A superb guide full of useul examples
http://www.pitonyak.org/AndrewMacro.sxw

OOo Developers Guide:
http://api.openoffice.org/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.html

OpenOffice.org API Reference (part of SDK)
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/common/ref/com/sun/star/module-ix.html

I hope he will decide to develop educational software for OOo. OOo is much and much in use everyday in Schools and Universities around the world

- Enrique -