On Thursday 24 March 2005 13:14, Andrew Carroll wrote:
> Okay, I was pretty harsh in my last post.  There are some
> features that I like.

Good.  Glad that you found some redeeming features.

> I like the fact that I can save documents into Microsoft Office
> format so other people who use MS products can use the documents
> I create.  That part of Open Office _almost_ makes it worth it.

Softmaker also does this.  See below.

> I'm sure that Open Office wasn't easy to put together!  I feel
> that the Open Office developers have done a terrific job yet I
> also feel that I wish that Open Office wasn't so frustrating to
> use at times.

Keep banging away at your favorite bugs and requesting your favorite
features.  It is possible to actually mount a campaign to have your
bug recognized and prioritized.  Daniel Carrera has succeeded at
doing this type of campaign in the past.  So pick your most hateful
bug or two, and campaign to have it squashed.

There are also other good open source office suites, such as AbiWord
and Koffice.  There are also commerical alternatives such as
Softmaker in addition to the familiar WordPerfect and of course the
Borg sells a product that is quite popular.    ;-)

If you like light and fast office suites that load lightning fast
and don't crash, and don't need an open source alternative, you
might like Softmaker's products.  I have absolutely no commercial
ties to Softmaker, but I have met the CEO a couple of times, and he
is really a decent person.  Here's their link:

http://www.softmaker.com/english/