Lars D. Noodén said the following:

Scribus does seem interesting, but I am curious as to how people ended up with MS-Publisher in the first place. The main closed source tools would be PageMaker, Quark, FrameMaker, or InDesign.

MS Publisher was provided as an integral part of the MS Office Suite CD set on at least a couple of versions. I seem to recall it was supplied free (on a separate set of CD's) with my old copy of Office 97, but I can't be certain.

oldgnome