On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:20:01 +0300
Alexandro Colorado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> uoting Nicu Buculei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> Hm. Not really sure where to go with your post, Nicu, you phrase it so
> >> tendentiously.  We have done an excellent job of, for starters,
> >> advertising 2.0beta and deprecating 1.1.4.  We want people to use
> >> 2.0beta, for we want people to test it and tell us where it breaks, so
> >> that we can make it that much better.  2.0 is the future and it's pretty
> >> close.  In contrast, we are not encouraging people to use the stable
> >> build.  To then imply that it is a kind of failure that we are
> >> succeeding is... bizarre.
> >>
> >> Once 2.0 is final, there will still be a developer build. I doubt very
> >> much--history is my guide--that the developer build will prove more
> >> popular than the stable build, even if we revert, as we very well might,
> >> to advertising it on the homepage.
> >
> > Just after a major release people are very little interested by
> > developer builds, those are very similar with the stable one.
> > With time passing, new features accumulate in the development branch, so
> > those builds become more appealing.
> > At some point in time the new features threshold reach a level where a
> > class of users will just ignore the stability of stable branch and go
> > with developer builds for certain features and another class is fearing
> > to move to the "unstable" version but are anxiously awaiting for the new
> > features.
> > Having shorter release cycles will satisfy those classes of users and
> > also help development because the new code get faster into wide use and
> > testing.
> >
> > -- nicu
> > my OpenOffice.org pages: http://ooo.nicubunu.ro
> >

> Yes this seems to be the general behavior. Usually developers are people that
> just want to implement a feature that they need on their software. Everyone
> started as a end-user at some point.
>
> --
> Alexandro Colorado
> Co-Leader of OpenOffice.org Spanish
> http://es.openoffice.org/

Reading through this mails i see that the list very active, and discussing what
to do to develop openoffice- and the work done with OOo since it is existing is
very impressing. I'm a user moving towards maybe development or at least fixing
now, since i want to use OOo on my uniarch x86_64 system, but compiling fails,
and i sent a report to the dev list, mentioning the problems i found, and where
i'm finaly stuck (a missing header, which cant be simply "fixed). But there was
no reaction yet at all, which is kinda dissapointing regarding the activity
here. So the theory to improve work with new people is one thing, but doing it
seems to be even more difficult.

Jochen