Why, o why, o why, o why, o WHY can we not have a simple "do not break" character attribute?????

I'm working right now on transcribing an 18th-century document full of "Mr. S----h" and the like (actually, that's two em dashes), and I can find absolutely no way to prevent "S----h" being broken if it happens to hit the end of a line. All I can do is manually pad out the line with extra spaces until the whole thing falls off onto the next line -- but if I should need to alter the margins, or make a correction to the text, I have to do the whole thing over again.

--
John W. Kennedy
"I want everybody to be smart. As smart as they can be. A world of ignorant people is too dangerous to live in."