Pavel Janík wrote:

Are you part of the same FOSS community as I am? What FOSS community are
you talking about? Do you have some evidences for your statements?

Uhmm... I think I am talking about the same community. I am referring to what I see on public forums like Newsforge, Groklaw, LinuxToday etc. You haven't seen any comments that say "don't trust Sun"? I've seen many.

I don't claim this is rigorous evidence. I try to use terms that reflect this.

 looks like "I think that ..... but
I do not want to write in public that it is how I think of it." to me.

I spend a fair bit of time defending Sun and OOo and trying to get people outside OOo to see a different point of view. Some times I get called names, but oh well, that's life. But what I'm getting at is that I am not simply projecting my opinions onto the world at large.

Of course, everything I say is biased by my opinions and perspectives. I'm human. I don't think Sun is the spawn of the devil, btw.

   > Consider that most FOSS projects are GPL. Ask yourself why. What's the
   > risk?

GNU GPL is the license. This is something else than copyright ownership.

I'll try again.

+ When people choose the GPL over another license, it's because the want recipients to be required to share alike.
+ The GPL is very popular among FOSS projects. Looks like a majority, but it's hard to say.
+ Hence, I conclude that a significant portion of the coders want the recipient to share alike.
+ The JCA allows Sun to not share alike.
+ Hence, I conclude that a significant portion of the coders will not like the JCA.

Other reasons why I think it's a barrier:
+ My experience in non-OOo forums is that most FOSS people don't like or trust Sun.
+ For a very small contribution (a macro) the annoyance of printing it and physically mailing it to California may be non-trivial.

You are looking at JCA from the wrong side. You should ask:

Please, keep in mind that I'm not suggesting that we nuke the JCA. I simply said that for *add-ons* it could be removed. That's it, nothing else.

After answering these questions, maybe you change your opinion on CA.

> Daniel, are you actively developing something in some FOSS project?

I think you misunderstood my opinions on the JCA a bit. Yes, I have developed for a FOSS project (Mono) and I did grant copyright over my work to Ximian. So I'm not a stranger to the concept, and I don't hate the JCA.

I think you took my comments a lot more strongly than I meant them.

Cheers,
Daniel.