On Mar 26 avril 2005 9:15, Mathias Bauer a écrit :

> IMHO your standpoint it too strict. You see the single software database
> as a value per se, I only see it as a means to and end (I see everything
> this way BTW ;-))

Right now none of the people who worked both with separate and integrated
solution agreed with you this standpoint is too strict. I know it's not
what you want to hear but it's what the users demand.

The value of integrated management is slef-eveident once you've
experienced it.

> That misses the point. The specific characteristic of OOo arises from
> its platform independent nature

Most of the Linux software runs on the BSDs too but it still is packaged
natively.

Java is platform-independant and it still is packaged natively (in fact
the only inroads java made linux-side recently is when Red Hat started
providing native packages)

Perl/python are somehow platform independant (certainly a large part of
the perl/python apps can be used without platform-specific builds) and
they are still packaged natively. Perl already offers its own deployment
system and it si not used except by Perl developpers

> and the pure fact that we can't offer
> support for every package format on this planet.

You don't have to do the whole thing at the OO.o level. I've already
outlined in the previously quoted message the common elements that could
be done at the OO.o level and how to interface with distributions so they
do the last mile. A lot of stuff can and should be taken in charge by OO.o
directly

> Do you remember the
> complaints that OOo "only" offers RPMs?

You really don't imagine the level of complaints not providing native
packages will raise.

And by not providing native packages I don't necessarily mean not
providing native packages at the OO.o level but not creating an
environment where other people can easily provide them.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot