Hi Alexandro,

Good point.  I'm thinking that Metro is primarily a
replacement/alternative for PDF.   One of the more interesting requests
that came before the OASIS OpenDocument TC was from the ORACLE
Collaboration Suite workgroup.  They asked if we would implement a
simple flag that would enable applications to mark an OpenDocument for
"print only".   The idea being that they wanted to replace PDF with
OpenDocument.  They were also considering participation with the effort
to create a browser plug-in for direct rendering of OpenDocuments.

It's interesting to note that the Adobe representative, Duane Nickull,
was one of the first of the OASIS delegates to cast their vote in
support of OpenDocument.  In November of 2004, on the same day that
Microsoft conceded to EU requirements and agreed to provide OpenDocument
filters, IBM and Adobe also announced compliance with those same
requirements.  IBM WorkPlace is of course comprised of OOo components,
so they qualify.  What was intriguing about the announcement was that
Adobe intended on integrating WorkPlace into their application stack,
and therefore could claim similar compliance.

In the past i have personally appealed to Adobe to participate with the
OASIS OpenDocument TC regarding the extension of metadata
functionality.  The Adobe XMP Metadata model supposedly now runs through
their entire stack of applications and file formats.  I didn't get
anywhere with my request though.  Maybe things have changed since then?
Or, maybe the announcement of MS Metro will spur Adobe's thinking about
direct participation with OpenDocument?

~ge~

<Alexandro>  "I wonder if mycrosoft respond to all this EU validating
OASIS as the standard has to do with the recent exposure of METRO
(http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/print/metro_FAQ.mspx)