Hi Johan,

Johan Vromans wrote:

Does that mean that 2.0 will be shipped as a standalone binary, not
requiring anything but the more or less standard libraries?

It is shipped that way even now.

Yes, since 1.x only uses Java for some optional features.

This hasn't changed.

Since 2.x requires Java for significant features,

Whether any one feature is 'significant' varies according to users needs. You can still use most of the functions of all OOo applications without Java. Many users will be using OOo 2.0 without ever invoking Java under the hood.

Of course if you need to use one of the features that is implemented in java, then you need to provide a JRE on your machine for it to work.

What feature are you thinking of in particular?

The 'most significant' one I can think of, is probably the HSQLDB database engine, which you need to create or use non-trivial, single-file databases. If this doesn't characterize your exact database needs, you can still use any other database engine with the OOo database application. Unless you need JDBC to connect to it - but that is the same in 1.x, so by your token can't be 'significant'.

it *is* important
whether it ships in a form that requires an additional Java, or
compiled to more or less standalone binary using gcj.

We won't ship gcj as part of the OOo package itself. We don't ship an operating system or a window manager either. The entire concept of a 'standalone binary' is not very clear when systems are composed of dynamically loadable components and libraries.

We ship a few system-level libraries for which there were versioning problems in the past, which may otherwise not be available for older systems within our baseline or where we need to apply special patches. But many people don't like this and e.g. distro builders configure the build to use the system version of libraries throughout. Thus bundling another piece of this kind is not a good idea.

In this case matters are even more complex, because there is a choice of runtimes to install. Many people have a JRE installed or prefer a JRE over gcj (for various reasons). Some platforms come with a preinstalled JRE and I'm not sure gcj does everything we use on all platforms yet. We want to give this choice to users.

It is important to note that this is not about 'compiling a standalone binary'. In any case the virtual machine will be loaded dynamically. So this is at most about shipping. For downloadable packages, most people will prefer to have an OOo download without JRE or gcj, because their choice of virtual machine may already be installed. If you create a CD for distribution, you are free to include a copy of gcj for all platforms you ship. Or you can check with JRE vendors, if JRE licenses allow you to distribute a JRE for use with OOo on your CD.

Ciao, Jörg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org