Mathias Bauer wrote:
Jonathon Blake wrote:

Mathias wrote:
and none of the versions supported switching languages (if you mean the GUI
language).

So what is changing, if not the language of the GUI, in the Thai/English or Russian/Hebrew/English versions of OOo. Or in OOo
1.1.3 ZA?

In OOo 1.1.x multilingual builds were possible, but they were not fully tested and never really part of documented build procedures. IIRC some of these multilingual builds were created in somewhat hackish ways by throwing together pieces from multiple single-language builds in one installer. And there were some things that simply were broken for multi-lingual installations on that release.

Even if you had such an installation, the OpenOffice.org application did not support switching languages after initial (user) setup. There was only the 'setofficelang' tool, which was added as an afterthought

In OOo 2.0 any user can select their preferred UI language among the installed ones in the OpenOffice.org GUI (under Tools-Options-Language Settings).

Those are obviously special builds done by whomever, so it is useless to
compare them with the "official" builds. I'm sure once 2.0 will be out
people will be able to provide the same kind of builds for it.

Yes, afaik the OpenOffice.org project itself never released any multi-lingual builds as regular downloads from the mirror network. I'm not sure, if you can get to such a build from our download page, but they are not in the 'stable' section of our mirrored downloads.

For 2.0 we may not provide such builds 'off the shelf' either, but you can easily build one and users can create an equivalent installation from our stock builds by adding language packs.

BTW: I already saw Multilanguage builds for the new version. OOo2.0 will
support languages (especially language packs) even better than OOo1.x.
So no reason to worry. :-)

Yes. As mentioned OOo 2.0 allows end users to switch the UI language in the usual preferences interface. Additionally 2.0 is much smarter in its default behavior, where it tries to honor the UI language used by the user for the OS/desktop. And language packs are much more versatile than old-style multi-lingual installers, because they allow adding (and removing) UI languages to/from existing installation properly (and completely).

Ciao, Joerg

--
Joerg Barfurth              Sun Microsystems - Desktop - Hamburg
Software Engineer                         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
OpenOffice.org Configuration          http://util.openoffice.org