Eric Hines wrote:

Actually, the concept of patents and copyrights is a good one

I'd agree about copyrights, but not patents. I think that getting a monopoly on an IDEA is ridiculous.

--it compensates the inventor(s) for their efforts, and so spurs innovation

I've never seen any evidence that granting a monopoly over an idea (patents) spur innovation. And I have seen a lot of evidence to the contrary. Putting roadblocks in the sharing of ideas inhibits progress, since all ideas are based on relatively small modifications of old ones.

--the performance of the open source community notwithstanding.

And the scientific community, which is much older, by several hundred years.

Cheers,
Daniel.