Eric Hines wrote:

I'd agree about copyrights, but not patents. I think that getting a monopoly on an IDEA is ridiculous.

Patent monopoly rights are very similar to copyright monopoly rights

No, they are *very* different. Copyright covers works, patents cover ideas. The things you listed (lifetime, licensing) are quite superficial next to the difference of what they cover. The concept that you have ownership over your own work is acceptable. The concept that you have ownership over an *idea* is not. Ideas are not built up, they are not constructed. Ideas are merely discovered, and your discovering one does not inhibit me from discovering it too. And there is no fundamental reason why your discovering an idea first you prevent me from discovering it too.

It is one thing for you to write a book about a young wizard learning magic and choose to keep your work private. It is quite another for you to prevent other people from writing their own book about a young wizard learning magic.

Cheers,
Daniel.