On Tue, May 31, 2005 00:30:00 AM -0400, Daniel Carrera
([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> >>That is neither the intention, nor the effect of patents.
> >
> >As far as I know, it indeed *is*. I (government):
> >
> >1) make sure that everybody can learn all the details of new
> >   technologies by *forcing* inventors to disclose what they did.
> >2) keep inventors motivated to keep inventing while giving away by
> >   granting them a temporary monopoly.
>
> I'm pretty sure that the intention was (2), not (1).

In "Free Software, Free Society", R.M. Stallman "talks about the
perversion of the original intent of patent and copyright law. For
those of us in the US, our constitution states clearly that these are
granted for the benefit of society. Most other countries say something
similar". http://gnu.open-mirror.com/doc/book13.html

> >No. Without patents people would have invented and sold anyway, just
> >keeping the secret on how they did stuff.
>
> That logic only applies for inventions that don't lend themselves to
> reverse engineering. I doubt that the majority of inventions fall into
> that category.

Maybe you keep looking only at the majority of a small part of them. I
could sell to you something I made which in itself is extremely
simple, and can be reverse-engineered in seconds. But in practice it
can be manufactured only with some very special machinery. Which I
have no obligation to sell you. I'd patent that machinery.
Without patents, then, *if* you are lucky, you can re-invent that
machines in one year, for the common good. Or it may take yoy, say, 10
years. Or, for the common good, we use patents which force me to
explain now what I did and how, and you to wait 5 years, instead of
risking 10.

The actual numbers could be reviewed, of course, and SW, drugs and
genes are exceptions, but that's how the
system is supposed to work, and I find nothing harmful in it.

Ciao,
        Marco

--
Marco Fioretti                    mfioretti, at the server mclink.it
Fedora Core 3 for low memory      http://www.rule-project.org/

                                                       R. A. Heinlein