I hope this time my post comes through without broken quotes... :-\

Jonathon Coombes on 31.05.2005 22:40 wrote:
On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:19 +0200, Peter Reaper wrote:

Some things that still "bug" me about OpenOffice:

1. The page ZOOM toolbar button needs to be a dropdown selection, instead of the more cumbersome separate dialog window.

There is a method for this - you simply right-click on the zoom info
in the status bar and get a list of the zooms from which to choose.

Not good/discoverable enough.

2. The document page should be CENTERED on the screen instead of on the left edge, which is visually "unbalanced".

This is not an issue for most people who are use to Left-to-Right text,

I doubt your claim can be backed-up with facts.

but could be a good option for Right-to-Left text users. I suggest  you
put in a Request for Enhancement (RFE) and see how the votes go.

I put in 4 RFE's yesterday. I'm RFE'd-out for now.

3. It is too cumbersome to add toolbar buttons that are not in the standard set. The user should be able to just select a category on the left (which BTW should mirror the MENU items) and then on the right have a list of ALL functions in that category which he can drag to the toolbar.

Ummm... This is how it is done? There is a list of categories which
contain the icons and you "drag" them over to the menubar set on the
right. How are you trying to do this?

There are too many features "hidden" under the "Add" button. All
features should be reachable without digging. See the bug(s) i filed in
a previous post of this thread.

4. Need shortcut: CTRL+SHIFT+V = paste without formatting.

This can be done in the new version for 2.0.

No, Ctrl+Shift+v still brings up that superfluous "Paste Special" dialog
in 1.9.104.

5. Context menus in tables should offer many (all) table-specific operations. This could be fine-tuned to adjust to how the table is selected (cell, row,...)

They do. Which ones are you missing?

I just looked at it again, and OOo does seem to have decent context menu
settings for tables. See screenshots:

http://lairo.com/files/temp/WordPerfect_Table_Context-Menu.jpg
http://lairo.com/files/temp/OOo_Table_Context-Menu.jpg

I do think that the context menu for images is far better in WP (e.g.,
fine-grained Size & Position settings) than in OOo. See
screenshots:

http://lairo.com/files/temp/WordPerfect_Images_Context-Menu.jpg
http://lairo.com/files/temp/OOo_Images_Context-Menu.jpg

7. Context menus need to be much more powerful (more items) and CONTEXTUAL.

Examples?

See screenshot of WP images CM:

http://lairo.com/files/temp/WordPerfect_Images_Context-Menu.jpg

Also ability to right-click on toolbars.

8. Draw doesn't offer a sensible default line color/width and form fill color; and worse, it doesn't remember what I had previously selected (goes back to idiotic defaults).

Have you define these in your default template?

No normal user will know how let alone want to do this. What is the
target customer of OOo?

9. Writer's UI needs to be MUCH more like WordPerfect's UI (context menus, paste-without-formatting, tables handling, tabs handling, indenting paragraph AFTER some text (F7), ...)

Most of these you have mentioned previously right?

No.

The others you mentioned can all be done using styles.

No they can't, and this is a non-solution for the vast majority of
users. OOo needs more sensible and powerful default features.

10. The installer should NOT install the pre-loader by default. That is just invasive, rude, and shows that the programmer couldn't properly optimize the program. What if EVERY program did that? Our PC's would come to a crawl from the load.

Well actually, a lot of them do. MS Windows does a lot of preloading
in its startup to allow MS Office to start more quickly when used.

So you're using MS Office as a basis on making "good" decisions?

There's more, but you can see that all this hype about OOo being nearly as good as Word or even WordPerfect is just that: hype and wishful thinking.

OOo 2.0 beta is a HUGE improvement over OOo 1.1.x :-)

And seems to cover most of the areas that were a problem for you.

No it doesn't.

Are there still areas that are an issue? Are you looking at making
OOo and exact replica of WordPerfect?

I would like to see OOo come up to WP's level.

--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust:  http://www.GetFirefox.com