Jonathon Coombes on 31.05.2005 22:40 wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 15:19 +0200, Peter Reaper wrote:
>
>>Some things that still "bug" me about OpenOffice:
>>
>>1. The page ZOOM toolbar button needs to be a dropdown selection,
>>instead of the more cumbersome separate dialog window.
>
> There is a method for this - you simply right-click on the zoom info
> in the status bar and get a list of the zooms from which to choose.

Not good/discoverable enough.

>>2. The document page should be CENTERED on the screen instead of on the
>>left edge, which is visually "unbalanced".
>
> This is not an issue for most people who are use to Left-to-Right text,

I doubt your claim can be backed-up with facts.

> but could be a good option for Right-to-Left text users. I suggest  you
> put in a Request for Enhancement (RFE) and see how the votes go.

I put in 4 RFE's yesterday. I'm RFE'd-out for now

>>3. It is too cumbersome to add toolbar buttons that are not in the
>>standard set. The user should be able to just select a category on the
>>left (which BTW should mirror the MENU items) and then on the right have
>>a list of ALL functions in that category which he can drag to the toolbar.
>
> Ummm... This is how it is done? There is a list of categories which
> contain the icons and you "drag" them over to the menubar set on the
> right. How are you trying to do this?

There are too many features "hidden" under the "Add" button. All
features should be reachable without digging. See the bug(s) i filed in
a previous post of this thread.

>>4. Need shortcut: CTRL+SHIFT+V = paste without formatting.
>
> This can be done in the new version for 2.0.

No, Ctrl+Shift+v still brings up that superfluous "Paste Special" dialog
in 1.9.104.

>>5. Context menus in tables should offer many (all) table-specific
>>operations. This could be fine-tuned to adjust to how the table is
>>selected (cell, row,...)
>
> They do. Which ones are you missing?

I just looked at it again, and OOo does seem to have decent context menu
settings for tables. See screenshots:

http://lairo.com/files/temp/WordPerfect_Table_Context-Menu.jpg
http://lairo.com/files/temp/OOo_Table_Context-Menu.jpg

I do think that the context menu for images is far better in WP (e.g.,
fine-grained Size & Position settings) than in OOo. See
screenshots:

http://lairo.com/files/temp/WordPerfect_Images_Context-Menu.jpg
http://lairo.com/files/temp/OOo_Images_Context-Menu.jpg

>>7. Context menus need to be much more powerful (more items) and CONTEXTUAL.
>
> Examples?

See screenshot of WP images CM:

http://lairo.com/files/temp/WordPerfect_Images_Context-Menu.jpg

Also ability to right-click on toolbars.

>>8. Draw doesn't offer a sensible default line color/width and form fill
>>color; and worse, it doesn't remember what I had previously selected
>>(goes back to idiotic defaults).
>
> Have you define these in your default template?

No normal user will know how let alone want to do this. What is the
target customer of OOo?

>>9. Writer's UI needs to be MUCH more like WordPerfect's UI (context
>>menus, paste-without-formatting, tables handling, tabs handling,
>>indenting paragraph AFTER some text (F7), ...)
>
> Most of these you have mentioned previously right?

No.

> The others you mentioned can all be done using styles.

No they can't, and this is a non-solution for the vast majority of
users. OOo needs more sensible and powerful default features.

>>10. The installer should NOT install the pre-loader by default. That is
>>just invasive, rude, and shows that the programmer couldn't properly
>>optimize the program. What if EVERY program did that? Our PC's would
>>come to a crawl from the load.
>
> Well actually, a lot of them do. MS Windows does a lot of preloading
> in its startup to allow MS Office to start more quickly when used.

So you're using MS Office as a basis on making "good" decisions?

>>OOo 2.0 beta is a HUGE improvement over OOo 1.1.x :-)
>
> And seems to cover most of the areas that were a problem for you.

No it doesn't.

> Are you looking at making
> OOo and exact replica of WordPerfect?

I would like to see OOo come up to WP's level.

--
Regards,

Peter Reaper

The browser you can trust:  http://www.GetFirefox.com