My patent attorney and I had a conversation about claims standing alone recently and apparently if they can be infringed alone they can also be awarded alone and alone prevent you from using what is claimed without license. This I'm fairly sure of.

As to communication between computers, I'll admit, that one is a little far fetched. In fact it is not even existent. I'll have to say that I think I've confused another patent and this one. I think an IBM patent on VPN. There from came my thoughts about communication. My apologies to all who read my messages. GeeZ, talk about embarrased. :-[ I have been reading too many patents on differing technologies lately. No excuses. I would have to say I typed before I thought.

I'll check my references more thoroughly before I open my trap next time.

Thanks for catching me on this, Sander.

Sander Vesik wrote:

--- Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Sander Vesik wrote:

--- Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I read this patent and I think it covers every conceivable method of communication between computers done by applications, connected by any means. If this patent is enfoceable, Microsoft would own the methods of communicating on any form of communication means applications could communicate with each other. Claim 1 defines this.

uh, no, not really. please read some more patents and get an understanding on
how
what is written in the patent application messhes together to form the patent.

Claim 1 stands alone. It was awarded alone. Others may depend on it, but it depends on none.

It doesn't. In the end, nothing in teh patent "stands alone". But fine, lets
assume
it did stand alone. Claim 1 of that patent is:
---- % ----

1. A method for serializing an object instance to a serial format, the method
comprising steps of:

generating a mapping between an arbitrary annotated source code file and a
schema,
the arbitrary annotated source code file containing at least one programming
type
that describes a shape of an object instance and the schema describing a format
of a
document having a serial format, the mapping defining a correspondence between
the
shape of the object instance and the format of the document having the serial
format; and converting an object instance corresponding to the arbitrary
annotated
source code to the serial format by converting at least one of a public
property, a
public field and a method parameter of the object instance to a document having
the
serial format based on the mapping.

Now you should either point out as to how what you have been saying aplies to
this
or say that you were talking about something you have no idea of. Among other
things
, you should point out how this relates to any general communication between
computers.

Sander

.sigless

___________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com