Jonathon Blake wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>
>> One of the most powerful features of Microsoft Office was the "Binder".
>
> I never saw the point of "Binder" , and apparently many people don't,
> since Microsoft dropped support of it a couple of versions ago.
>
>> This allowed multiple documents to be stored in a single container for easy
>> swapping, storage and organization.
>
> Would
> a) put all of the documents in the same folder;
> b) zipping the folder up;
> c) Exchanging that zip archive
> suffice?

That't not the same. The smart idea of "binder" is that it uses only one
file that contains everyt part of your project and that can be loaded by
the application directly. A zip file must be zipped/unzipped always.

I also know binder and I agree that it can be useful. My own favorite
idea concerning this was that you could bundle several OOo documents
into a common "project folder" and merge them for printing, kind of a
master document that not only can contain text files but also
spreadsheets. In the simplest form of course it should just behave like
the MSO binder feature.

I have no idea wether this feature is useful enough to have a chance for
the next release. With our new Embedding API we added to OOo2.0 such an
application could be implemented as an external component, f.e. in Java
or Python. Anybody interested for Google Summer of code? :-)

Best regards,
Mathias

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.