Greg Bulmash wrote:

Open Office and I were getting along swimmingly, then two things happened that made me dump it.

Search and Replace: Word has support for "special characters" (i.e. line breaks, paragraph breaks, page breaks, etc.) When you're trying to convert an e-mail full of broekn lines back into paragraphs, via a search and replace, it's simple with Word, impossible with Open Office. Wasn't enough to make me dump OO.o (as I could do it in an external text editor).

I set up a test file with random line breaks and found I can search for ends of lines and replace them with nothing via find "$" and replace with "". That gets rid of line breaks. I know that's over simplified, but read about "regular expressions" in the help file. ;-)

Mail Merge: With Microsoft it's simple. Create a table or spreadsheet, use the first row as headers, and then just punch in the data in the following rows. The headers are taken as field names when you do a mail merge. If they don't match a predefined set, no problem. It's easy to plug in your custom fields.

Open Office kept trying to force me to use its built-in database component or address book component, neither of which could be made suitable to my desired workflow methods. I couldn't use an .odt doc with a table, nor could I use a spreadsheet. Perhaps I'm missing some special thing I need to do to use one of them, but in Word, I don't have to do it.

I've got some large mailings coming up. I'd have to spend many extra hours stumbling through OO.o's preferred way of doing things instead of doing things my preferred way.

I've only done mail merge in MS Word 97 before now. Never tried it in OOo before. I read your message and thought I'd give it a try. I started the mail merge wizard, followed the prompts and tried to load an old dbf file directly in the wizard and it wouldn't continue to the next dialog for some reason. So, I decided to load the dbf into calc. I had a feeling all would be Ok with a calc file for the database. That took a minute to save the file as type .ods. Then I re-started the mail merge wizard and followed the prompts. This time I got past database selection and went on to matching up data fields and creating the merge document. I had a mail merge file in about 10 minutes. All I had left to do from here was print it. It seemed as intuitive as MS mail merge to me.

I had to give OOo an appropriate amount of time and look up a couple of things in the help, but I think I had to do that with MS word. I had to learn their way of doing it and had some initial problems, but I was persistent. I think this approach might apply to OOo.

:-)
Best,
Alex