Quoting Daniel Carrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Bruce Bowler wrote:

Quoting from http://www.openoffice.org/product/index.html

"OpenOffice.org 1.1 gives you everything you'd expect in office software."

"If you're used to using other office suites - such as Microsoft Office -
you'll be completely at home with OpenOffice.org 1.1."

Either of those statements, when taken alone (especially the second),
could be taken as a statement that "OOo is a clone of MSO".

NO NO NO!!

Look, giving you what you'd expect in an "office suite" does not mean
"just like MS Office". Heck, it doesn't even imply MS Office in
particular. It means that it has the set of features that an office
suite should have. It has a word processor, spread sheets, etc.

The second statement is *not* specific to MS Office either. It says
"other office suites" and mentions MSO as an EXAMPLE of another office
suite.

OOo has all the features that an office suite is expected to have. Just
like Corel Office, just like KOffice. Are you also going to claim that
OOo is a clone of Corel Office? And MS Office is a clone of Corel?

Think people think! Having the functionality that an office suite should
have is lightyears away from cloning one particular brand of office
suite. Geesh!

Don't get me wrong, OOo is a FANTASTIC product, but for many of us, until
it's "bug for bug compatible*", it's not going to be a wholly viable
product.

Well too bad then. If what you need is an office suite precisely like MS
Office and no variation will be acceptable, then please grab MS Office.
But don't expect OOo or anyone else to just try to clone that program.
We have a different product and have some different ideas of what an
office suite should provide even if the base system (word processor,
spread sheet and presentations) are fairly standard. We still expend
that base concept in our own direction. We focus a lot more on styles,
we focus a lot more on vector graphics. We focus a lot more on XML and
open standards. These are not cloning acts.

Sincerely,
Daniel Carrera
OpenOffice.org volunteer.

Cloning is the highest degree of admiration ----- Why would someone try to