Recently I noticed on another list that the 1.4 release of the koffice suite now supports the OASIS open document format (".odt"), and out of curiosity I downloaded the source rpm, and built and installed it.

Interestingly it reads the OOo ".odt" files - for the most part, anyway. Embedded graphics tend to disappear and some other things "rearrange themselves", In particular page headers and footers can show up in really random places, and in many cases with truly odd point sizes. For instance I had written a technical report with headers and footers in 9 point Arial Bold - various entries in each ... title, page number, dates, release identifier, proprietary marking, etc. They showd up in a frame centered vertically on the page - in sizes ranging from 18 to 96 points. (?!?!?!)

I feel like an idiot making a comment here, because I haven't actually read the entire OASIS standard (yet); however, from what I have read I'm wondering whether there is enough "implementation freedom" (read "wiggle room") in the standard for someone to make it a little difficult to switch from one office suite to another. Any views on this one? (I'm NOT trying to start a war, I'm just curious having been involved with other standards bodies in the past.)

Anyway, of course it is also possible that the koffice implementation is brand new and still has bugs in it...

FWIW I also notice - after taking the time to "clean up" the doc which I opened (in kword) and saving it under a different file name - that some things also disappear coming back from kword to OOo-writer (although far fewer than in the opposite direction.

If this gets straightened out properly (and I'm sure it will), then no wonder M$ is scared silly about the prospect of having an open standard out there... :-)

--
William W. Austin                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
".... as we go sliding down the razor blade of life .... " - Tom Lehrer