<snip>

Sorry Rod - I had no idea that you used a Dell. My point was that most geeks don't use Dells, and most people who use Dells aren't geeks. Geeks like to
"roll their own" and therefore, a propriatary computer - the most common
being a Dell - would not normally ebe something they would have.

It wasn't meant to be taken as a 1-to-1 equation, just an illustration.
Sorry to offend. I had no idea you were so attached to your computer
hardware maker.

-Chad

My ire, wrath, and outrage were tongue-in-cheek, I hope you realize.

But I'm not quite sure why a Dell would be any more "proprietary" than anything you could roll-your-own. Mine came with an Asus motherboard, Maxtor hard-drive, Sound-Blaster audio, NVidia graphics card, Conexant modem, and Harman/Kardon speakers. The only parts that actually say "Dell" on them are the case, keyboard, mouse, and monitor. The first three items are long past the point of being commodities and you know Dell didn't actually build the monitor either. All they do is assemble components; no different than any "white box" mfr or roll-your-own hobbyist.

They build decent machines for a good price. Works for me.

Rod

Robert Derman replies: I am no software expert, but I am a computer hardware expert. I suspect Rod, that the Dell you are describing above is several years old. Dell used to build very good computers, (USED TO) what they are building now are the most proprietary designed systems on the market. They do not use ATX standard cases, (ATX is to case designs what OASIS is to document formats), nor do they use ATX standard motherboards. All Asus motherboards are ATX, therefore Dell no longer uses Asus. Many of their power supplies use ATX connectors, but they are not wired in the ATX approved configuration, so that if you connect one of them to a standard non-Dell motherboard, you will destroy it. I have heard from many Dell owners that their consumer level (as apposed to enterprise level) service has deteriorated to the point where they say that Dell is the last brand they would ever buy again. If you want to find out about Dell today, just Google phrases like "Dell sucks", I hate Dell, etc. Getting proprietary Dell parts is like pulling teeth, besides they are usually over priced. I say that the best way to repair or upgrade one of today's Dell machines is to throw the motherboard, case and power supply in the dumpster, wipe the hard drive, and then salvage the rest of the system to build a decent computer with. By the way, if any repair of a Dell computer which is out of warranty, (and they only warranty them for 90 days now,) requires the replacement of the motherboard, you will have to buy a new copy of Windows! For these and several other reasons, I now advise people to avoid all brand name computers and get a generic machine. Unlike with all other products, in computers, generic is almost always better than brand names.