On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 10:51 -0400, Chad Smith wrote:

> On 10/22/05, Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Most
>         of the reputable research seems to indicate that MSO 2003 is a
>         small
>         proportion of the overall office installed base. Broadly
>         similar to the
>         estimates for OOo users.
>
> Poisoning the well, much?
>
> "Most *reputable* research"?  So any research that disagrees with you
> is disreputable, huh?

I'm looking at the main companies - IDC, Forresters, Gartner. They are
professional research organisations with their businesses relying on
getting these things right. There is striking agreement among them. If
you are disagreeing with them its difficult to understand your motives
for doing so. Even Microsoft use these people. They pay them to do
research for them so if there was going to be some vested interest in
bias it would be far more likely to be to the company that pays their
invoices.

> Even if you are correct.  You're compairing 5 years worth of versions
> of an office suite, on multiple operating systems to one, 2-year-old,
> one OS version of another.  Try comparing Office 2000, XP, 2001, 2003,
> and 2004 to OOo.  (2001 and 2004 are on Mac.)
>
> What you suggest is not a fair compairson.  The comparison I suggest
> would be far more accurate.

Sigh. Its impossible to reason with you Chad. The purpose of the
comparison is what matters. As I keep saying and you keep failing to
grasp, rates of take up are what is important for the future not the
legacy installation of the past. Ask Daniel for a maths lesson, I'm
obviously not the teacher I used to be, he might be able to do better.
Ask MS if they care if someone is still using Office 97. They only
really care about the people buying new product and their only goal with
legacy users is to get them to buy an upgrade. That's the business
bottom line. OOo doesn't have that constraint.  We don't have to make
new sales to stay in business, we even make it easy for people who want
to stick with OOo 1.x. But broadly the number of OOo users world wide,
according to the independent (some would say in MS's pocket) researchers
is similar to the number of OOo2003 users. That is significant because
if that is the situation at the launch of MSO12 and OOo continues to
grow at current rates it could well be that MSO12 never gets more users
than OOo - all the OOo users can upgrade for free so the siginificant
comparison is them and the customers actually buying or about to buy
MSOffice12, not all the Office 97, 2000, XP, 2003 users who are not
thinking of upgrades any time soon. That really would be a tipping
point.

BTW, have you signed the petition yet?

--
Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>