Lars wrote:
> It would be useful to pin down the sources and specifics of the basis for
> Pacheco's claims.  (e.g. which disability groups and what have they been
> made upset about)

The article
http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005/10/25/galvin_attacks_software_proposal
says that blind office workers are saying they're worried they won't be
able to use it.  I looked into this a bit.
Support for screen readers was added in OpenOffice 1.1.  The page
http://ui.openoffice.org/accessibility/at.html
describes this support.
HOWEVER:
1) That page is incomplete - it doesn't list all the
screen readers people use.
2) That page is not linked from the home page of openoffice.org, it
was very hard to find.
3) The accessibility bridge uses Java, and its memory requirements
are very high - see
http://groups.google.com/group/mailing.comp.open-office/msg/ecdd0f0087459d88
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.blind-users/msg/4a8bada1e70474b2
so many users might not be able to use it.  In fact,
it's said to not work very well.

Has anyone on this list tested screen readers like
JAWS with OpenOffice 2.0 to verify whether the complains
in the two messages I linked to are still real?
What are the real system requirements?
Can someone find out and update http://ui.openoffice.org/accessibility/at.html ?

I think the community might have to hustle a bit here
to make sure blind users are *really* supported well;
we can't just claim it's all bad PR.

Wish I could help myself, but I'm tapped out (most of
my spare cycles are going to helping the Wine project
at the moment).
- Dan

--
Trying to get a job as a c++ developer?  See
http://kegel.com/academy/getting-hired.html