On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 10:41 -0400, Chad Smith wrote:
> And, as far as Andrew's statement being "absurd", OOo *DOES* open MSO
> stuff- and so do hundreds of other non-MS programs. If every piece of
> MSO Software on earth disappeared, through some sort of mega-virus, or
> "miracle", the *DATA* of the files said in their ultra-secret, evil,
> litttle propriatary software will be completely intact.

Today, it does. There's nothing saying tomorrow's MSO won't save in
formats designed to be read by other programs.

This is Microsoft's way of doing business. Don't be surprised if ODF
support is gone from MSO from the next version after it is in. Freedom,
including free software, is anathema to Microsoft (this includes OOo as
well as GNU/Linux).

The fact we can read a MSO doucment anywhere else is fortunate, and I
would go as far as to say Microsoft considers this to be a problem they
are in the process of "fixing" (read: breaking utterly for anyone but
users of their products).

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>