Chad Smith wrote:

Why? - WHY?

Because it makes *SENSE* to, that's why.
I thought we voted you out of here. Ah well.

The problem with your argument is that it simply doens't hold water. You say you want to email something. Fine. Open your email program. Too complicated? Fine. Use MS Outlook.

OpenOffice.org developers have better things to do than write an email client from scratch just because people are too lazy or incompetent to open an external email program and attach a file. You seem to think it's a great idea, but as long as someone else does it. By insisting that OOo include an email client, you're dragging back the development of everything else, and opening the project to attacks by people who say "OOo Email doesn't do 'this' or 'this' or doesn't format 'this' correctly, or doens't work with XYZ IMAP server, or doesn't include a spam filter, or allows me to double-click on viruses" etc, etc, etc.

I say those who can't get over OOo not having an email client should:

a) Write one, and be silent during the effort, or
b) Buy MS Office

Microsoft have the money and time to implement a full email client in their office package. Microsoft write commercial software and want to push *their* solutions.

OpenOffice.org developers don't have the time or money to implement a full email client, NOR SHOULD THEY BE ASKED TOO, as they are writing open source software, and there are a plethora of open source email clients available.

Seriously, if you can't be bothered with them, then open source is not for you.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer