For me (winXP-pro) it works sort of ok.

Putting a picture as a tiled background to the page using OOo, saved
as .odt, then re saved as .doc. Reopening in word the background was
still there.  Things that didn't work so well :
- The graphic, when displayed in word were not the same proportions as
what they were in OOo. This had nothing to do with the 'tiling' of the
picture, since I redid it and the distortion remains. Word seems to
try and stretch the graphic over the entire page.
- In word, the graphic is displayed over the whole page. In word the
graphic is only displayed over the same area as occupied by the text.
This means that you get a square of non graphic around the outside
according to the set margins.

HTH, /paul