On 2005-11-13, Randomthots <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ian Lynch wrote:

>> If there are web browser
>> viewers, editors, utilities galore in the next couple of years it will
>> make a compelling case for adoption of OOo too.

> Which is when marketing OOo as the ODF "reference app" will be really
> effective.

> The OOo homepage trumpets ODF like the second
> coming of Christ. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think the web
> presence is mostly targeted at the home and smb markets. The big-biz and
> goverments markets are the baily-wick of the professional sales staff.

Here we have the chicken and egg problem. If OpenDocument is not
widely promoted then application support will not be forthcoming.

I think the promotion of OpenDocument now is both pertinent and important.
With the fairly high profile confrontation in Massachussetts there is a
great opportunity to espouse the advantages of the open format to a wide
audience. It is likely that similar situations will play out in other
areas in the near future, and it would be nice if the players were even
vaguely aware of the issues with closed formats and the existence of
alternatives.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])