On 11/26/05, Randomthots <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Chad Smith wrote:
> > I'm not saying that Linux "can't" run games, like there is something
> within
> > Linux itself the prohibits the high-end performance that Windows can
> > deliver.  I know that's not the case.
>
> Actually, that may be the case. I recall a thread in this forum many
> months ago -- another one of those Linux rulez, Windows droolz things --
> where a comment was made concerning the stability of Linux vs. Windows.
> The upshot was that Linux was more stable because Windows has some
> graphical processing built into the kernel, whereas Linux separates
> them. So an app could crash the X-window system but the kernel would
> keep on running.

That may or may not be limiting.  I'm not smart enough to know for sure.

In this respect the GNU/Linux architecture is similar to Windows 3.1
> running on top of DOS.

I hope people read the first paragraph before jumping all over you for this
statement.

This can be a big advantage; for example, I'm
> running a Smoothwall firewall on my network on an old P120 w/ 80 MB of
> ram. No GUI, but it has a web-based admin system like my wireless
> router. Works just fine -- total cost: about $30 for a network card
> (that I could have gotten cheaper on-line).

Yes, running stuff from the commandline does make it work a lot faster, and
on much lower levels of hardware.

> If they play Solitaire and Free Cell, then, yeah, Linux can do that.
>
> For that matter, I think the cards in the Linux versions are butt-ugly.

You and me, both, Rod!

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/