On 11/26/05, Randomthots <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Richard Rowe wrote:
>
> > biologist
> >
> > write scientific papers and reports, often need to access material in
> > older file formats.
> >
> > I think that providing a range of text file converters would be a big
> > plus for Open Office Writer.
> >
> > MS tends to abandon Word formats on about a 5 year cycle, and loading
> > the appropriate converter 'from disk' can be an inconvenience in a
> > centralised situation where end users probablby don't have the CDs to
> > hand. OO's file converters are good (and I frequently need them to open
> > MS Word files submitted by students - files that don't open in MS Word).
> >
> > Upside: works transparently, users happy
> > Downside: bloat?
> >
> > Richard
>
> You may want to consider purchasing Sun's StarOffice 8. It is basically
> OpenOffice.org but includes things that can't be included in OOo because
> of licensing restrictions, etc. Among them are a wide range of file
> filters. It will run you about $79 list (cheaper on Amazon).

Actually, if Richard works for a school, or is a student, (as his email
seems to indicate) he can get StarOffice 8 for free from Sun.com.

http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/promotions/edusoft/individual/download/cat4_qualification.html

*http://tinyurl.com/8jhvq*

And I would totally agree with Rod, StarOffice seems like it would meet your
needs.  SO has a *TON* of file filters, a level I have not seen close to
matched in other office suites - by *far* the highest number of formats.

> Upside: works transparently, users happy
> Downside: bloat?

The downside to OOo offering these other filters isn't bloat - it's a matter
of freedom.  StarOffice pays companies for the right to use their filters.
OOo, being free, can't do that.  Also many of the filters are of a
propriatary nature that precludes their inclusion in a Free (as in Freedom)
office suite.

I doubt the filters are very large, so bloat wouldn't be an issue -
confusion may be, since the "Open" and "Save as" dialog boxes have *HUGE*
drop-down menus.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/