On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 23:22, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Randomthots wrote:
> > 1. Does Microsoft's XML standard now encompass all document types? Last
> > I knew they only had an XML format for Word.
>
> Microsoft's FAQ says:

<snip>
> > I notice that in the examples cited in the article that MS tends to use
> > very short tags like <w:r>, whereas the OD tags are full words like
> > <text:p text:style-name="Standard">. I realize this aids in human
> > readability but most of the time... who cares? I'm not going to be
> > reading the raw file anyway.
>
> Please read the top of the article. It explains why you should care
> about which format is understandable. Because the developer who is
> writing the application you want to use needs to understand it and know
> how to use it. And the more understandable the format is, the better the
> support, and the better the compatibility.
>
> Understandability/simplicity/etc has a DIRECT effect on things you do
> care about like how many applictions support it, and whether you can
> reasonably expect a file produced by one to be read by another (ie.
> interoperability).
>
> And interoperability is the whole point of using XML. If you don't care
> about a developer understanding the format, you might as well be using
> Microsofot's .doc.
>
> Using obscure tags like <w:rPr> is gratuitous obscurity. It makes it
> harder for competitors to understand the format and support it for no
> benefit.
>
> Daniel.

In particular, anyone who's only ever used HTML before, would find
himself/herself comfortable with ODF very quickly.

I suspect Microsoft dragged over some of their programming gurus from arcane
C/C++-using projects to draft this standard, because it's got the feeling of
the Microsoft Standard variable-naming procedures that I've seen discussed in
various programming magazines here and there.

Be that as it may, it's not the way the various Markup Languages have been
designed and taught with a focus on simplicity and clarity of expression.

It's their problem, not ours.

Wesley Parish
-----
Mau e ki, he aha te mea nui?