Gianluca Turconi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Then, there is the "little" question he has written on The Guardian
> Unlimited. When you write on a newspaper (site), you
> cannot not write /nearly all/ or /some part/ of the truth.
> You must write *the* truth because you're not writing a novel or a
> narrative story where the plot can be changed according to your will
> or your opinion, you're writing news that are read by users as such.

You don't have a choice. You can't write *the* truth. You do the best you
can to ensure that every statement of fact is correct and that the
overall impression is not misleading; the article is then cut by other
people, and fitted to the space.

To clarify my argument about the limits of open source as a software
development model: I think it works for some types of program and not for
others and that this is really because of the lack of a market which will
signal preferences reliably from users to developers. The governing
rhetoric of the movement ignores this, and so is seriously misleading.

There was in my original article a paragraph saying that the volunteer
work was in general much more impressive outside the English community. I
don't know why this is true, and I don't want to be invidious by putting
up a list of remarkable contributors which will then leave off people who
should be there. Let me put it this way round: there are people as
impressive as Andrew Pitonyak, CP Hennessey and Dan Kegel whose work is
for the most part done in other languages.

But, again, almost all of this is catchup. Supplying dictionaries, spell-
checkers, proper documentation, user support, and so on, is tremendously
important, ad, when it is complete, will bring the program up to the
level that MS Office was, in most languages, eight years ago.

Meanwhile, the facts are as I stated them.

--
Andrew Brown
The email in the header does not work.