On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 20:24 +0100, Martin Hauge wrote:
> The problem is that 12 of the 18 Norwegian counties have  signed at School
> Agreement contract with Microsoft. This contract claims that all the PCs in
> each school must be counted to fulfil the contract.  The School Agreement is
> a cheap and easy-to-administrate licence-arrangement. Up till now more than
> 50.000 MS licences are sold on a 3 years contract-period.
>
> The bad news for OOo is that if a school want to save some licence costs by
> let some classrooms run OOo, the school still have to pay Microsoft-licenses
> - also for the OOO-PCs. In other words, the schools have to pay
> Microsoft-licences also for Linux- and OOo PCs.

Its probably illegal if the country has fair trading law. If its on a
big scale it would be worth challenging.

> We now hope that the competition authorities will interfere with the School
> Agreement and its monopoly confirming effects. As far as I have understood,
> those contracts were forbidden already in 1994.

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts1998/80041--c.htm#18

This link is to the 1998 UK competition act that is based on EU law.
This might not affect Norway as it is not a member of the EU but I would
encourage anyoneany reading this in a country that is in the EU to look
into making an official complaint. It costs nothing and just a little
time. I made a complaint to the UK Office of Fair Trading about 3 years
ago. It triggered a full investigation and they don't do that unless
they are fairly sure there is evidence of the law being broken. The
outcome is really a compromise. Because Microsoft Schools Agreement is
not so heavily used here in the UK the OFT decided to just put the case
on hold to save the court costs arguing that the market effect (here) is
not worth the cost of going to court. If the situation changes they
will, so MS is not off the hook and it will have cost them a lot to
provide their 30,000 pages of evidence :-). If in another country MSSA
is more widely adopted it could well be worth the local government
taking things further and there are also opportunities to use the
surrounding publicity.

The way to make a complaint is to find a company that supports Linux and
for that company to complain to the authorities that they are being
blocked from the market due to the fact that if they try and sell to a
school and even give their product away, the school on MSSA still has to
pay MS. In UK (EU) law this is clearly in breach of Chapter II and abuse
of a dominant position in the market.

18 (a) directly or indirectly imposing unfair purchase or selling prices
or other unfair trading conditions.

ie Making people pay for machines that don't run any of your software is
easily seen to be an unfair trading condition.

(d) making conclusion of contracts subject to acceptance by the other
parties of supplementary obligations which, by their nature or according
to commercial usage, have no connection with the subject of the
contract.

Making people pay for machines that run none of your software is an
obligation that is arguably not connected with the subject of the
contract ie payment of license fees for the software you use on specific
machines.

--
Ian Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
ZMS Ltd