Malik,

On 12/24/05 10:54 PM MalikZZ wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I'm a new user to OpenOffice.org, but I find it to be
> just as good as
> the regular MS products I have used so far.

Great! Though to confess, I tend to find it better than MS :-)
> Some good news first - Singapore's government
> institutions are thinking
> of moving towards OpenOffice.org for its day-to-day
> document handling,
> with the Ministry of Defence taking the lead. By now,
> MINDEF (Ministry
> of Defence, Singapore) should have completed its
> conversion to
> OpenOffice.org. Well done, guys! (That's insider
> news, by the way!
> Don't publish it yet until the media reports it!)

:-)  We actually have a page I set up to track major deployements of
OOo, and it would be great to add Singapore.  See
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments
> Now the bad news...
>
> The one thing I noticed is that for OpenOffice,
> whenever there is a new
> release users would have to download the entire
> program instead of just
> having the new features "plugged in" as an update. As
> a result, I have
> to wait around 30 mins for the entire installation
> file to download.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but OpenOffice could use a
> Update feature like
> Windows Update and many other non-MS programs (esp
> anti-virus programs
> where users download small definition files). I would
> be grateful if
> the updates came in smaller doses rather than having
> to download the
> entire OpenOffice program.

It could....Many others, for a long time, have also wanted this.  The
issue is that those who have wanted it have not also been those who
could make it.

I think such a feature, which is present on StarOffice, would be
terrific.  One could even have something like Thunderbird's automatic
update.  But, developers (or developer companies) need to be interested
in this sort of thing.

Cheers,
Louis