On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 14:25 -0500, Chad Smith wrote:
> On 1/18/06, Pavel Janík <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >    From: Chad Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >    Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:43:37 -0500
SNIP!
> X11, on the other hand, does not come preinstalled, nor is it a part
> of the default install of OS X.  It is included on the disc, but you
> have to purposefully (a) know it's there (b) know how to find it and
> (c) ask for it specifically - before you get it.  And you can't just
> download it or install it by itself in Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).  If you
> try to download it from the Apple website, it will download, but when
> you try to install it, the system tells you that you "already have
> newer software installed" and doesn't give you any choice but to stop.
>  To install X11 on a system that is already running Tiger, you have to
> *reinstall Tiger* to do it, potentially losing data and/or
> preferences.

No problem for me. I have done it simply and easily since 10.1 up to
10.4.4 now.

> If you were to end up with a Mac OS X system that doesn't have Java -
> you can easily get it through Software Update or from Apple.com.

As you can for X11.

> Do you use a Mac, Pavel?  Do you know what I'm talking about?  If not,
> then it is no longer you don't understand why I said what I said.  If
> you've ever tried to install X11 on a Mac that already has Tiger, then
> you shouldn't have to ask.

Hahahahahaha!!

Sorry, could not help myself there. Obviously Chad, you do not know
who Pavel is or what he does for OpenOffice.org.

Regards
Jonathon
--
OOo Tips:               http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au/tips.rss