On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 19:59 +0000, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> Jeff Causey wrote:
> > All that is true and sways the technical folks and power users, but I
> > rather suspect for your typical business person (who is the target of
> > Cor's project), you probably lost them after "An zip compressed XML
> > file..."
>
> I don't expect a typical business person to understand the technical
> details. But it is still true that OpenDocument files are much more
> reliable and that's something most business people care about.

One point they do understand with non-ODF/proprietary formats
is that of lock-out. Explain to them what happens if they store
all their files in Office97 format in 10 years. They catch on
really quickly, particularly if they have been in business more
than 15-20 years.

> > Hmm, I've used MSO's master documents successfully for several years.
> > So making a statement like that has the potential to destroy credibility
> > if presented to someone who uses MSO's master documents.  The question
> > in my mind is, how are OO's master documents more reliable?  Is there
> > something about the app that makes them work better/easier to work with?
>
> MSO master documents get corrupted very easily. They break easily. OOo's
> don't as much.

Yes, I would think this relates to the integration based on the common
ODF type format.

> > I'll reiterate my point about styles in OO as well - MSO has the same
> > capability.  The one "selling point" about styles I think OO can make is
> > page styles.
>
> Page styles matter. Does MSO have a Navigator and Stylist? Does it use
> styles natively?  (styles are so central to OOo you cannot avoid using
> them - even when you think you're not using styles, OOo is making styles
> dynamically for you)

Agreed. Being able to individually define headers and footers and use
them as objects compared to just "special formats" is a big advantage.

> > OK, but this still does not change the point that you can copy and paste
> > between the apps in MSO and OO.
>
> e.g.  There is a "Window" menu that lists all your OOo windows
> regardless of whether they are a WP, spread sheet, etc.

Interesting point. Never thought of that as a feature before :)

Regards
Jonathon
--
OOo Tips:               http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au/tips.rss