That figure may have been for pressed CDs, not ones you burn. The ones you burn only last a few years, tops, significantly less than tape. Tape, when properly stored and actively maintained, can last up to 15 years.

I notice that the last week or so there was an article or two quoting terribly wrong lifespans for various physical media.

NARA has had several research publications on that topic, though I am too lazy to hunt for the URLs right now. I would consider them or any other corresponding institutions in other countries to be authoritative.

As people accumulate data, file corruption via degradation of the physical medium will become more an issue. How well does OpenDocument resist getting a few bits flipped or dropped?

-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        Software patents endanger the legal certainty of software.
        Keep them out of the EU by writing your MEP, keep the market open.